Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kenwood Artists Cabernet


I was a little reluctant to meet with Julio for a Heck tasting. We had had a really busy lunch and I agreed to meet at 3pm. The wine distributors are often called upon to bring winery people around to accounts. I almost never say no because it is a great way to meet some wonderful people. (Clay Fritz who has a primo Sauvignon Blanc) Anyway, I admitted that I had never heard of Heck Estates and Julio mumbled something and that was that,
Heck Estates owns Kenwood and Valley of the moon. We tasted six wines, but three are very memorable to me.
Valley of the Moon Pinot Blanc. I really liked this white. It was medium bodied with a citrus and floral nose. The taste was creamy citrusy and well balanced. I would have loved to buy this for our list, but I believe it would be a hard sell. It had enough acidity to stand up to a grilled salmon . My first thought was Sword with a mango salsa.
8.4
Kenwood Russian River Pinot Noir. This was a good solid pinot. Light to medium bodied with a strawberry and raspberry nose. Well balanced and smooth tannin. A good reception wine. I did buy this to fill a gap in our cellar. Will work with our Mustard Salmon.
8.4
Kenwood Artists Cabernet 2003. Very good Cab with a pepper and chocolate nose. Smooth and long dark fruit finish. Ready now, and will probably age pretty well. Reminded me of an aged St Julien, very graceful.
8.7

No comments: