Thursday, January 8, 2009

Poonawatta Montes Block Shiraz, Eden Valley, 2006


I hadn't heard of Eden Valley in Australia till today. I probably saw the name from time in a book, but today I tasted a wonderful wine from the region.
Montes Block Shiraz is made up of grapes that do not make it into Poonawatta's top shiraz "The 1800".
Tasted with a new rep who introduced himself with a little tasting.
The Monte Block was very dark and spicy on the nose. I got black pepper and dark, dark fruit on the nose. The shiraz was pretty good. The first taste illustrated to me what a bouquet of pink peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamon and dried cherries would taste like. Just layers and layers of complexity. The finish lasted for a good minute. There was a healthy amount of acidity that make this a real food wine. Montes block was not an over ripe fruit bomb with that jammy taste you find with Aussie Shiraz.
Very Good

No comments: